Fantastic Youngsters in Mijas – Winter Cup Young Horse Final
Lauren Edwards is proud of and extremely pleased with her five-year-old horse Breit Star. Once again the Brit and her Breitling LS offspring have won the final of the young horse tour at the Winter Cup 2017, part of the Costa del Sol Equestrian Tour.
Breit Star has quite the ancestral portrait gallery: Through his father he goes back to Rolf-Göran Bengtsson’s star horse Quintero, not to mention Acord II – both stallions have produced a truly impressive number of offspring who have enjoyed sporting success. 22-year-old Lauren Edwards has ridden the youngster consistently and steadily, placing in and winning a whole host of tests in Mijas. With Graham Babes’ Ma Fleur JS and Springsteen and Hollandani, both ridden by Sebastian Bishop, there were a number of striking young horses among the top 5.
Jan-Philipp Weichert from Bippen, Lower Saxony, who took third place with Come to Bippen in the final competition for five-year-old horses, knows why that is: “The horses develop here brilliantly! They learn unbelievably quickly here, and you have enough space to train with them in peace! The conditions here are just right – the young horses aren’t under too much pressure!”
The right course designs, perfectly-prepared surfaces – it all contributes to the training, wherever it is taking place. In the competition for six-year-old horses, Grandino H impressed his way to the top spot, ridden by Belgian Viktor Daem. Daem also landed second and third places in the seven-year-old horses’ competition. That final was won by Antonia Andersson from Sweden with Katanga vh Dingeshof.
The Winter Cup will now focus on the CSI3*; on Sunday there is a Longines World Rankings show-jumping competition on the programme, in the form of a Grand Prix.
Results overview, Costa del Sol Equestrian Tour
5 Year Old Horses
1. Lauren Edwards (England) Breit Star, 0/32.54
2. Graham Babes (England) Ma Fleur JS, 0/33.92
3. Sebastian Bishop (England) Springsteen, 0/34.72
4. Jan Philipp Weichert (Germany) Come to Bippen, 0/35.08
5. Sebastian Bishop (England) Hollandani, 0/36.72
6. Lauren Edwards (England) Carumba, 0/38.24
6 Year Old Horses
1. Viktor Daem (Belgium) Grandino H, 0/39.37
2. Cassandre Malherbe (Belgium) Fee van het Cauterhof, 0/39.63
3. Jan Philipp Weichert (Germany) Cobalou, 0/41.31
4. Vincent Elbers (Germany) Go For Blue HBC, 0/44.14
5. Adrian Whiteway (England) Kimba, 0/39.91
6. Patrick Doller (Germany) Doutzen, 0/40.55
7 Year Old Horses
1. Antonia Andersson (Sweden) Katanga VH Dingeshof, 0/39.88
2. Viktor Daem (Belgium) Carinja, 0/40.16
3. Viktor Daem (Belgium) For President, 0/41.20
4. Bruce Goodin (New Zealand) Chacceldi, 0/41.47
5. Michele Kenny (Ireland) RLE Avalon Du Charpont, 0/43.74
6. Michal Kazmierczak (Poland) Wilander, 0/43.80